Not that I know what crack cocaine tastes like nor is it even edible?? I’ve been on this strict diet (no processed foods) for say like FOREVER. Then came this “white chocolate doughnut.” Don’t ask how it just magically appeared in front of me. Anyhow, I had to take a stab at it. Had to…and why does something so BAD taste so GOOD?
I suddenly felt a strong urge to look into this very phenomenon, “Sugar High.” Here’s what I found :
1) Simple white sugar mainly found in bad things like doughnuts easily break down into glucose in the bloodstream.
2) The pancreas releases insulin to absorb sugar from the bloodstream. A moderate amount of glucose present in your body is actually healthy.
3) Through this absorption, trptophan is converted into serotonin, aka “Happiness Molecule.”
4) However, when this conversion happens too quickly, in order words, the bloodstream is overloaded with too much sugar and insulin gets release too quickly, the opposite happens. This condition is known as “hypoglycemia” or “sugar crash.”
5) Go back to 1) and you can see why eating simple sugars can be bad.
As quickly I felt “high” off that doughnut (yes, I immediately finished the rest after the photo op), I began to feel gross, lethargic, and even sad. These are well-known symptoms of sugar crash.
I’m sure this wild consumption didn’t do any good for my health, but sometimes it takes a couple of mistakes to create a good habit. I’ve learned my lesson, and I hope you did too without actually eating one yourself!